, ! .

»  ... » The X-Files 2 »  .

31 36 36

Richard and Judy (July 30, 2008)
Note: They were talking all over each other alot, so there were some stuff that was really hard to catch.  All mistakes are mine!  Feel free to correct.

Richard: Good timing, because shes starting on the day that after years and years and years of us trying, we have finally get David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson live on the show.  They are sitting over there.  Those two have dropped in on their way to the premiere of the new X-Files movie.  Now I saw it this morning, Im telling you, its really, really good.  You need strong nerves and even stronger stomach.  David and Gillian are here now.  This whole concept is very X-Files, well come to that.  But it is a coincidence that we have Agents Mulder and Scully here, the actors, amazing isnt it.  The actors made it as a globally recognized brand.  David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.  TV series may be history, but the film franchise continues to flourish.  I was at the Sunrise this morning to catch a super-early preview of the new one, The X-Files: I Want to believe.  Its good guys, its really good.  Billy Connolly plays paedephile priest with the gift of second sight, and only he and Mulder and Scully can solve the riddle of women in West Virginia who keep on disappearing and reappearing in bits.

*clip from the movie*

Richard: And Gillian and David are here now.  We are obviously trying to keep this professional guys.

GA: As supposed to?

DD: Why? Why?

Richard: Well because its really weird seeing you two sitting together on the sofa.  I mean do you have that  effects on people when you are doing PR things and publicity.

DD: Well we rarely sit on the same sofa, so we do have, have that effect.

GA: Yeah, we do, yeah its quite rare.

DD: We dont do a lot together, a lot of these stuff together, so I dont know

GA: I dont know, we did it for a couple of days

Richard: Its like an iconic thing to see you together, in the flesh. Its weird.

GA: Yeah.

DD: We feel iconic.  *GA laughs*

Richard: Really pleased.

Myleene: Tell me its been quite a while since weve seen you on screen together, going to the big screen, why do you think people are still so obsessed with the sci-fi and all the aliens out there, what is it that works for them for you?

DD: You go ahead.

GA: Thank you very much.

Richard: Cmon Gillian.

GA: You know what I dont have any idea, because its not myIt depends on what week it is and whos asking what.  I dont know, I really dont understand what it is about it that attracts people and en masses as they have been attracted to

DD: I think you are selling it too hard.

GA: Am I? *laugh, Richard cackles*

DD: Just back off a little bit.

GA: But hes got very strong opinion about it so hes going to say something about it.

DD: No, Ive got nothing.  Ive got nothing.  Im just thankful.

Richard: such strong opinion about it.  Just step back, that whole X-Files

DD: Well you know at this point we are just overjoyed there seems to be a loyal core audience that still wants to see it. I dont know why either, just I think when the show started it kinda filled the vacuum for scary shows, and people got into it and they

Myleene: But it kind fit into the society (?) as well because when the show first started I was in college studying Mary Shelleys Frankenstein, and thats when Dolly the sheep and cloning came up, it was sort the same

GA: Did you say Johnny the sheep?

Myleene: I said Dolly the sheep.

GA: Ohh Dolly the sheep.

Myleene: Maybe you had Johnny the sheep, we had Dolly.  *GA laughs*

DD: Well Dolly had Johnny, thats what happened.

Myleene: Johnny, Dolly, they cloned the sheep.

Richard: When Dolly met Johnny. it was a very good sheep movie in the end.  *Myleene laughs*  Listen, you mentioned Frankenstein there, Im not going to give too much away

DD: yeah right.

Richard: I wont give too much away, but there is a Frankenstein element, to put it mildly to this film.

DD: Yeah.

Richard: Ive actually, when I watched it on film today, what I really liked about it was, it appears to be, for most of the time, a classic serial mystery. Thats what it appeared to be, but it isnt quite like that.  It appears to be that, but theres a Frankenstein element.  And the supernatural aspect of it is really confined to Billy Connolly isnt it? I mean thats really where the X, the X-Files element is contained, within him.

Richard: Just tell us his character, and how he plays.

GA: Ummm..

DD: Well you said he was a paedephile priest..

GA: Yeah so that kinda sums it up.

DD: But we like to say its not as funny as it sounds. *everyone laughs*

Richard: Okay.  Well, you can joke about it, because I cant.  She can, so we have to let that joke run there. Well weve got a clip of him.

DD: Well Billy is actually great in the movie, and hes very deep, very deep person and actor.

Myleene: Tell me, cause obviously since the TV show you went your separate ways, was it hard coming back from revisiting this character? For example, was it hard to find your voice again?

GA: It was a lot harder than I thought it was gonna be. Umm I was a bit complacent about it at the beginning, and I didnt The first couple of days I had a really hard time. I wasnt

Richard: You mean talking like Scully?

GA: It was so much talking like her asYou know it had been, it had been six years, and the first time that I was on set doing her again, David wasnt in the scenes with me, I was working with Billy on the first day, it was a very difficult scene that we were doing together.

Richard: Which one was it?

GA: It was when I , about ¾ the way through when I go and confront him

Richard: Oh yeah, you asked him what he meant

GA: In his apartment, and I go through a range of emotions, and that was my first day, and I was just Had a couple of very long international flights, and I I was so discombobulated, I honestly questioned whether I could do it again.

Richard: You couldnt tell.

GA: And IBut you know, it turned out okay in the end. But it was much more challenging than I thought it was going to be, and it wasnt until maybe day 3 when David and I got to work together for the first

Richard: And that helped you

DD: Oh yeah.

GA: Hugely turned around, yeah.

Richard: Very quickly, before we go to a break because we want to talk about a lot of things afterwards, lets see a clip from the home.  This is a treat, this is you and Billy Connolly out in the snow field, and hes getting on one of his psychic, his psychic experiences, and he helps you the police, the FBI, to find these people.

DD: We think. We think.

Richard: Here it is.

*clip from movie*

Richard: Its a treat actually for fans of the series and of the previous one, because theres a lot of look-backs, a lot of references, to previous plotlines.

DD: Right.

Richard: Because obviously initially your character thought his sister had been abducted by aliens.

DD: Yes, yes.

Richard: As far as I remember, when did it start?

DD: The show?

Richard: Yeah, The X-Files.

DD: 1993.

Richard: 93? 94? 93.

Richard: Initially you character thought his sister had been abducted by aliens, hence his interest in the whole area.

DD: I think he still thinks that.

Richard: Do you think he still thinks that? Do you?

DD: I havent checked in with him

Myleene: Dont blow it! Spoiler, spoiler!

Richard: Alright, listen, thanks for now, we are gonna come back in a minute.

*back from break*

Myleene: Welcome back, now we are here with Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny.  It is really great to see you guys on the sofa together before you jet off to your premiere, pretty exciting for you to get back together.  How did you feel re-taken those steps was like?

DD: It felt iconic.  *everyone laughs*

Myleene: Theres a huge following, do you think theres sorta nostalgic sort of avenue.

DD: Maybe a little bit, but we had a job to do so we were concentrating on the work we had to do and it was I dont know about for Gillian, but honestly even though six years, or seven years had passed since we worked together it really didnt feel that way once you started to work together.

Richard: Its that long?

DD: Well I left the show a year early, so its really been Well then I came back so six years, lets say six years.

Richard: Yeah, yeah. You said the TV series started in 93, and actually weve gone quickly to the archive, and we managed to dig out the Pilot episode.

DD: Oh no.

Richard: This is the very first scene you ever shot together.

DD: Oh!

Richard: *to GA* I have to say you look more beautiful now then you did then.

GA: *laughs* Oh thank god!

Richard: No seriously and we look

GA: Well what are you going to say, I thought you looked more beautiful then than you do now? *laughs*

Richard: Did I have to say anything? I did not have to say anything.

GA: No you did not.

Richard: And Im not

DD: Well I agree.

Richard: Good. And you look pretty good too.

DD: I think you look more beautiful.

Richard: Well you didnt know me back then.

DD: I didnt.

*everyone talking over each other*

Myleene: Compliments flying around here.

DD: Coming up we have a clip of you.

Richard: Alright here we go, this is the Pilot, their first scene together.

*clip from Pilot*

Richard: And that is what is called hitting the ground running.

DD: Oh I dont know, I think its called hitting the ground.

GA: *laughs*

Myleene: *to GA*, why were you cringing, the shot of you

GA: Oh my god! Its horrible!

Myleene: You think that?!

GA: Oh yeah.

Richard: I apologize, I thought it would be a treat for you.

DD: All I can say is, I hope I speak for Gillian when I say this, we are very lucky, to have been able to work hard and get better.

Myleene: I think you are too hard on yourselves.

Richard: Well, weve got a treat for you, I think youll find this a treat.  What Im going to show youWhy are you looking at me like that?

GA: No no no, Im scared.

DD: Couldnt go back any further.

Richard: Well we kinda did, we kind did but its alright.

GA: Oh no.

Richard: Its fine, dont worry, please dont Gillian. I can see this you are gona walk out of here Gillian Anderson walks of Richard and July.

GA: Okay.

Richard: We checked on the internet, we found three most popular episodes ever made.

DD: Oh really?

Richard: We got them here, just to show you. One was called The Host, one was called Post-modern Prometheus, and Milagro.  You probably remember bits of it, or maybe not at all.

DD: The Host, really?

Richard: Well we took all three editions down to a drop-in day center for the elderly here in London, we got them to watch them, and then they are going to describe one of the three editions, and you have to listen carefully then tell us which of the three episodes they are describing.  You ready to do this?

DD: Im gonna be able to do that.

Richard: Okay, here we go.

Lady 1: At the beginning, the man was in a sewer.

Lady 2: It could be in a foreign country.

Lady 1: Then the next scene you see where theres a man on this slab.

Lady 2: She went to ? and this bloody scene popped out *laughs*.

Lady 1: He got out of the toothpaste, and he squeezed all in his mouth.

Lady 2: All in his mouth, he wanted to taste

Lady 1: Theres sort a twist in that, you know.

GA: What? *laughs*

Myleene: Good stop?

Richard: Sounds like the news last night to me.

DD: Yeah I know what it is.

GA: Do you?

DD: Who wants a bet?

Richard: I cant tell you Ill give you a five for that.

GA: Pounds or dollars?

Richard: Oh pounds.

DD: Its The Host.

Richard: Lets see if hes right? Absolutely! I owe you five.

GA: Whats with the toothpaste?

DD: Thats what I remember.

Richard: Double or quits? You wannat do double or quits??

DD: You wanna to get Yes go ahead.

Richard: Yeah?

Myleene: Im sure betting is illegal.

Richard: Oh well then.

Myleene: Here you go.

Richard: Heres another one.

Lady: I dont know what the coin was about. They keep bringing that out, didnt they? Saying this is the thing thats gonna do this and that.

Man: Theres a scene that drove it.

Lady: Yeah.

Man: There was a couple in the car, and she got out didnt she.

Lady: She got out.

Man: Then she got into I dont know.

Lady: Yeah I didnt really get into I couldnt figure that out.

Man: Control it, mind, hes testing mind.

Lady: It was that confusing at times I just didnt get it at all. I must admit.

Richard: 50/50.

GA: They were great, those two. They are like the same person.

DD: I got, I got another five coming to me.

Richard: Go.

DD: This is very interesting because when I was leaving New York to come here, I was getting ready in my hotel room it was 5 in the morning.  I put on the TV and that episode was on.

Richard: Oh thats not fair.

DD: Thats not fair, so let Gillian answer it. *GA stares at him*

Richard: Eh good man, Gillian you are up for the bet?

GA: I dont know what they are talking about! All I know they talking about is me getting in a car and somebody reading my mind, which has to be at least 50% of the episode.

Myleene: Have a guess.

DD: *pretend to cough while speaking* Milagro.

GA: Milagro!

Richard: You are going to guess Milagro, thats a guess isnt it?

Richard: Okay, lets see.

DD: Just a guess.

Richard: Oh! Get my red bag, bringing my red bag quickly, to pay my bet.

DD: I can get the next one too. *GA laughs*

Richard: Well anyone can do that. The film, honestly, terrific to watch, I really enjoyed it.  Its hard watching a film like that before you had your breakfast.

DD: At 9 in the morning, yeah.

Richard: But it held my attention very much so.

DD: Good.

Richard: Now, lovely ending as well.

DD: Yes.

Richard: Is it the last film we are going to see?

GA: I hope not.

DD: We hope not.

GA: We hope not, but it all depends on how many people show up to see it.

Richard: Oh its going to be great.

Myleene: I think it will be inundated (?).

DD: Now when you say the ending, you do mean the ending ending, or the ending.

Richard: I mean the ending I mean the emotional Im not going to give it away

DD: Because theres something that happens after the credits as well.

Richard: Is there?

DD: You are supposed to stay in the seats.

Richard: Im afraid I left.

DD: And tell nobody stays through the end of the credits, but maybe they will now.

Richard: Seriously? This is not a

GA&DD: No no no, not at all.

DD: Chris Carters been calling it the Easter Egg.

*show staff brings Richards red bag*

Myleene: Oh stop.

DD: Whats in the bag?

Richard: Hang on, oh its my life thats in there.

DD: Are we gonna You dont have to pay us.

Richard: Im not going to pay you, you are going to give it to charity.

GA: This is hysterical.

Myleene: I cant believe it.

Richard: Here you go.  *hands over the money to DD* Thank you, thanks a lot.

Myleene: I like you are a man that honor your bets.

DD: What is your charity here? Lets

Richard: Cystic fibrosis Trust.

DD: Okay.

Richard: Thats Is that

Myleene: Yeah, thank you very much.

GA: Fantastic.

Myleene: Well thanks very much and best of the luck tonight.

DD: Thank you.

GA: Thank you for having us.

Myleene: If you want to hold off your breakfast, and then going to see I Want to Believe, its in cinema nationwide from Friday.

Richard: Just one second, what are you wearing at the premiere? You know what you are gonna wear?

Myleene: Thats a girl question. What are you wearing tonight?

GA: Alice Temperley.

Myleene: Very nice.

Richard: What color?

GA: What so we dont dress the same? Black with a bit of pink?

DD: Mmmmm very nice.

Richard: You sir?

DD: Ill be wearing clothes of some sort. I dont really know! I dont know, but not Alice Stempley?

Myleene: Temperley.

DD: Oh Temperley.

Myleene: Well Ill be looking out for that. Thank you very much.

Richard: Yeah look forward to it, take care.

X-Files Stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson "Want to Believe"

By Jordan Riefe

After waiting for an eternity for Mulder and Scully to reunite for another "X File", fans of the popular supernatural sci-fi series can now head to the theater for the second feature film in the franchise, X-Files: I Want to Believe, which opens this Friday, July 25. At the film's recent press junket, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson got together to revisit the series, delve deep into the new movie, and look ahead to a possible third movie in 2012 to coincide with the end of the world on the Mayan calendar.

Theres a legion of fans who are anxious to return to Scully and Mulders world. How about you guys? Where you anxious to slip them back on again? How much arm twisting did it take?

GILLIAN ANDERSON: I wasnt anxious.
DAVID DUCHOVNY: I wouldnt say arm twisting.
ANDERSON: I think it was something - Ill speak for myself - that I was interested in if it was something that was going to become an eventuality. I was on board for it. I was less active than I think David was in helping it come to fruition, but it was always something that I was enthusiastic about should it see the light of day.
DUCHOVNY: Yeah, you know, it seems like a long time. You know people are asking me, you know, 10 years, which is the last movie - but I think of it as 6 years since the show ended. And when you think about like a 9-year run for Gillian and Chris and then I think the burnout will take you at least 3 years to get over, honestly. And then youre talking about trying to develop a movie - its really not that slow when you think about it. Its actually kind of on the heels of what was possible given the amount of work we did on it over that decade.
ANDERSON: Good answer.

A lot of fans would say, "On the show, Mulder was always saving Scully..."

DUCHOVNY: Oh, thats not true.
ANDERSON: No, I saved his life sometimes.

Well, certainly in the movie, though its a nice turn around.

ANDERSON: Did I save you? Okay, then didnt I pass out and then you saved me?
DUCHOVNY: No, thats the first movie.
ANDERSON: Oh, in this movie - oh, youre talking about this movie. Oh, I forget youre part of the new league of people.
DUCHOVNY: The only ones who can... we can speak to them. They know what were talking about.
ANDERSON: But you saved my life in the first movie, then you pass out. Im sorry.
DUCHOVNY: I just saved your life in general. Spiritually, I saved it.

What surprised you most about the script when you got it?

DUCHOVNY: I thought I was kind of intrigued by the kernel of the idea that we wanted to keep secret for a long time, which Chris was protective of because he thought - not because he thinks - if you see the movie, if you know it before you see the movie that itll ruin the movie. But I think he was afraid that it was something that could be copied and get out there before our movie got out there, and that would take the wind out of our sails. So we effectively got around that. But it was that idea that Im not talking about that was kind of fascinating and disgusting and horrifying and interesting. Im speaking about me with my shirt off.
ANDERSON: And I was surprised by the relationship, I think. And how much a part of the mood of the whole film the relationship is. Somehow its, its just - its there. Its almost another presence and its set up very early in the film. You get to witness very early on that the weight of the history, in a sense. And I feel like this script and also the film itself carries that with it. And its tangible, and I like that.
DUCHOVNY: And when you think about the kinds of movies that you might compare our movie to, you say its a thriller. You say its kind of a horror movie. You say its an intellectual - well just say its an intellectual caper, whatever. But at the heart of it is this relationship between Mulder and Scully, which is like a real adult relationship; two people trying to figure out their relationship while theyre doing their job, which just happens to be a very heightened reality of a job, you know. And so if you think about any other movie, all other movies, like, in this genre, theres never an actual relationship in them. Theres never actual - its usually a loner. If its a couple, its kind of rudimentary, you know, meet. So I think that whats. . . no, not m-e-a-t.
ANDERSON: Its either meet or meat.
DUCHOVNY: They meet and then meat. So then thats what I find kind of interesting, and the balancing act that Chris was able to pull off is that while this horrifying stuff is going on, or interesting or thrilling stuff is going on, youve got these two people, not quite bickering but trying to figure out where theyre at, which is, I think, a potent combination.

What do you think it is about "The X Files" that six years after the series finale that people are anticipating more?

DUCHOVNY: I dont know. I think were just lucky in a way. I think the characters were drawn as complimentary of one another so they kind of fit very well like puzzle pieces and became another entity. I know that people used to yell, "Scully" at me all the time. And Im sure people yelled "Mulder" at Gillian. And we were kind of interchangeable in that way even though very distinct. So I think were kind of a romantic idea of a marriage of true minds, you know, of a real marriage even though we were never married. And I dont know - did we ever have sex? I dont know? Did we did? We did.
ANDERSON: Yes. I cant believe you dont remember. But also I think that because we werent married and we werent actually in a relationship. We also got to keep the respect for each other...
DUCHOVNY: Because you never respect the person youre married to.
ANDERSON: You never do. You know what I mean? There was something different. It was like we were like a married couple and yet we saved each lives. We would do anything. We would stop a bullet for each other, which you dont find in most marriages.

Whats the back story, were you pregnant in the show?

ANDERSON: Well, I actually forgot that I had a baby. When we started shooting somebody had to remind me.
DUCHOVNY: William.
ANDERSON: Yes, William. Yeah, apparently we gave him away.
DUCHOVNY: We had to give him away because as I recall there were forces that were going to take him and do horrible things to do him, so... Actually in the last episode when I came back, or right before the last episode, the one I directed, actually, yeah, Gillian gave him away; made a horrible choice, a "Sophies Choice" to give the baby away so that he could live. So hes still out there and waiting for...
ANDERSON: ... the next movie.

Did you guys have a chance to give input for this movie? What was your participation as far as scripting?

ANDERSON: None.
DUCHOVNY: None, really. I mean, my only involvement would have been in a discussion with Chris for - to throw my two cents in, that it should be a stand alone. It shouldnt have anything to do with the alien mythology and show, really be a movie that somebody whos never seen an X File can enjoy. And Chris had already made that decision, so... that was really my only- my only point of view on it.

That said, how important are the tips of the hat to people who do know the mythology and can recite every line in every episode?

DUCHOVNY: I think its just like sprinkles on the top in this movie. You know theres a bunch of kind of winks at the audience. And Chris was very kind of into, you know, having these winks. Not so much me because I always feel like thats not part of the realism or the drama, you know. You dont know were winking at anybody, but its something that fans, I think, enjoy. And I cant remember any that are actually in it.
ANDERSON: Well, I think the impression was, you were saying yesterday, that the previous movie was winking. But in fact, it was mooning. You know, there was an attempt to hint at little areas of stuff that had to do with the mythology to get people involved enough who were previous fans but still attract people who werent. And it was actually much further in that balance than this one is by any stretch.

If there is another one - and supposedly 2012 is the year the world ends according to the Mayan calendar. Would you like to see a further film go back to the black oil and the aliens?

DUCHOVNY: Sure, I mean I think thats like the bread and butter of the series, and its kind of a natural for 2012. And I think thats what Chris and Frank are thinking of. Yeah, bring on the aliens.
Going back, its one thing to read the script. Its another thing to be in front of the cameras that first day. Was it a little surreal?
DUCHOVNY: It felt like, in a way, I was there two weeks before Gillian just running my ass off and pulling a muscle. And none of it is in the film, which is fantastic.
ANDERSON: Is that - really?
DUCHOVNY: A little bit, you know, its just ridiculous. But then after, then we broke for Christmas and then came back and I started working with Gillian almost immediately, and, you know, in a weird way it felt like absolutely no time had passed because we were in Vancouver. It was-- it just seemed like wed come back from summer hiatus or something, which was kind of terrifying sometimes to think about. But for me, in terms of getting back into the character it really was - when I started working with Gillian was when I started to discover Mulder again, for real instead of kind of faking it. I was running so it doesnt matter how Mulder runs, really.
ANDERSON: But even for me, the first couple of days that I worked were, were in a particular scene with Billy Connolly and, you know, 6 years on and never addressing, you know, having an experience with that character before and jumping into some big emotions on the first day that have nothing to do with the grounding of the show, which is the relationship between Mulder and Scully was kind of hard and really disconcerting. And I felt like I had nothing to grab onto, that I was, I kept trying to hang my coat on something that felt familiar, and there wasnt. It felt really odd. And it wasnt, again, until, I think it was day 3 that we got to work together that I was kind of like, "Oh, I forgot. This is what it is."
DUCHOVNY: It was a real relief.

You were talking about working with Billy Connolly whose sense of humor is so infectious. Were there moments between takes where that would come out?

DUCHOVNY: Oh, yeah. There were no moments when it didnt.
ANDERSON: Well, just the few seconds when he was on camera.
DUCHOVNY: No hes a really - hes a really talented actor. And he goes back and forth very quickly, and, you know, hes a restless mind and if he wants to talk... He doesnt really want to entertain so much. He really wants to have a conversation, but wide ranging and odd and interesting, always.

In the interim youve obviously youve grown as people but presumably grown as actors, too. And Im wondering were you able to bring experience to the roles now that you couldnt back then?

DUCHOVNY: Oh, yeah. When I have the misfortune of catching one of the early shows, like from 1993 or something, and I see myself or that version of myself, I just think, "Thank God that I got the chance to continue to work and figure out what kind of an actor I am." Because the guy that I see up there in 93 is just barely hanging on. And that gives it a certain kind of tension and earnestness and eagerness to please, which kind of works, but it was not intentional. It was just panic. So yes, I mean, now, 15 years on, its a whole different ball game, completely. Its night and day the way that I work and the kind of things that I want to do. But still you have to honor the character and you cant just change him. So it was interesting to have the same box and to fill it up with different stuff.

It seems like there was a rowboat scene at the end of credits. How did that come about?

ANDERSON: Not ours.
DUCHOVNY: Well, you know we were sitting in a tank in a lot in Vancouver.
ANDERSON: With a crew around us.
DUCHOVNY: And towards the tail end of winter, and I was shirtless, and Gillian was--
ANDERSON: --in a bikini.
DUCHOVNY: In a bikini, and it was really silly. But it was very important for Chris that that be. Because to him the movie is about the relationship that the final image be, you know, two people together alone on the wide open sea. And thats his image of this relationship, you know.

Youve said, "Vancouver is one of my favorite places."

DUCHOVNY: Vancouver is one of my favorite places. Unfortunately, yeah, no one believes.

Can I ask you a couple of Hank Moody questions, cause "Californication" has become a real guilty pleasure. . .

DUCHOVNY: Dont be guilty. Dont be guilty.

How much of a reflection is it of the reality, or is it just pure satire?

DUCHOVNY: Well, its not satire so much as its really a character study. And its not, its our goal on the show is not realism. Its, you know, were making a comedy, and thats always what were trying to do. And were trying to make the comedy real, and were trying to make the real comic. So thats always what were thinking about. Its not really satire in that way. Its really just an extreme character sketch of a guy who has no censor.

Gillian are you working on anything right now?

ANDERSON: Well, the first thing actually is How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, which is with Simon Pegg and Kirsten Dunst. And thats about a book, or its an adaptation of a book by Toby Young about his experience as a writer at Vanity Fair, as a Brit writer at Vanity Fair and his inappropriateness in the world and also not having any censors. And Boogie Woogie is a satire about the art world. It takes place in London, and I think its very funny.

Max 60 Seconds: "X Files 2" w/ Gillian Anderson (Cinemax)

60s with GA (Thanks to APC!)
DD : This is 60 seconds with Gillian Anderson.
GA : I'll play!
DD : London or Chicago?
GA : London.
DD : Paint a painting or buy a painting?
GA : Buy a painting.
DD : Class clown or teacher's pet?
GA : Class clown.
DD : Watch yourself on screen or cover your eyes?
GA : Cover my eyes.
DD : Flats or high heels.
GA : Flats... kinda...
DD : Liar...
GA : I'm a liar...
DD : Text message or call on the phone?
GA : Text message.
DD : Yeah, it's good, you're modern that way. Dressed up or dressed down?
GA : Dressed down. Does... this...
DD : Well I agree to tell you the truth.
GA : You agree, ok.
DD : Blonde or Redhead?
GA : Blonde.
DD : First to arrive or last to leave?
GA : First to arrive.
DD : And now for the X-Files questions. (x3)
*trailer*
DD : Investigate the creepy sound or "uhg, I'm sure it's nothing".
GA : "Ugh, I'm sure it's nothing."
DD : We're all alone or there's something out there?
GA : There's something out there.
DD: Easily scared or nerves of steel.
GA: Nerves of scared. Easily steel. (laugh) This has been 60 seconds with Gillian Anderson. Only on Cinemax.

60s with GA

DD: 60 .
GA: !
DD: ?
GA: .
DD: .
GA: ... ...
DD: ...
GA: ...
DD: - ?
GA: -.
DD: , , . ?
DD: , .
GA: , .
DD: X-Files . ( 3 )
DD: ", , ".
GA: ", , ".
DD: - - ?
GA: - - .
GA: . . () 60 . Cinemax.

Max 60 Seconds: "X Files 2" w/ David Duchovny

60s with DD
GA: This is 60 seconds with David Duchovny.
DD: Go the clock is ticking.
GA: Oh the clock is ticking, okay.  Watch sports or play sports?
DD:  Play sports.
GA: Beer in a can or scotch on the rocks?
DD: Neither.
GA: Rehearse your lines or improv?
DD: Both.
GA: World Series or Super Bowl?
DD: World Series.
GA: Trivia master or always drawing a blank?
DD: Trivia master.
GA: Make her dinner or reservation?
DD: Reservations.
GA: Do an impersonation or tell a joke/
DD: Both.
GA: Now for The X-Files question.
GA: Okay
*trailer*
GA: Go with your head or trust your gut?
DD: Gut.
GA: Shooting in a dark gloomy forest or howling snow storm?
DD: Shooting in a ?
GA: Dark gloomy forest or a howling snow storm.
DD: Dark gloomy forest.
GA: Yeah. Approach an alien or haul ass in the other direction?
DD: Approach.
GA: Really?
DD: Yeah, Im Mulder!
*GA laughs*
DD: This has been 60 seconds with David Duchovny. *points to himself* Only on Cinemax.

60s with DD

GA: 60 .
GA: , , . ?
GA: ?
GA: (, )?
GA: X-Files .
GA: Β.
GA: . ?
DD: , !
DD: 60 . * * Cinemax.

French junket interview

DD:I think a movie like this, you know without being too heavy, deals with what do these two people believe in.  We've known them for a long time.  We know what Mulder believes in, we know what Scully believes in.  But what this movie is about, through a certain case that challenges both of them, they come to believe in themselves, you know.  Love almost, in a weird, romantic way.  You never think The X-Files is about love, but in a way this movie is about love conquering all these stuff that love, at the end of the day, is more important than what Mulder believes or what Scully believes.

*clips from trailer*

GA:I don't know if so much of the mythology were, the series, or stories, were of that much interest to me. They have primarily to do with aliens taking over the planet and stuff like that.  I mean there were few of the smaller ideas of the series that were more interesting to me.  You know, in terms of mind reading, and the capacity to which the human brain might be able to... you know see things into the future, and stuff like that.  You know I find that interesting. I don't follow that particularly, but it definitely holds more interests to me than some of the larger issues of the conspiracy, alien abduction, and stuff like that. 

DD:I don't know if there's one X-File that gets to me, but it's more the guy's character that stays with me.  Mulder's like... And one of the taglines of the movie is "Don't give up", you know that's kind of... That's the kind of guy you know, that stays with me.  I like his perseverance, I like his, I like the passion of his belief.

*clips from trailer*

CC:I don't know.  We actually took the aliens, and made them metaphor for the search in meaning of God if you will. So we took on that, I guess you can call it legend and myth, made it into something.  i'm not sure we would do beyond this.

FS:I always thought The X-Files as endless though.  I think these two characters, believer and skeptic, David and Gillian's portrayal of them, and the fact their search is about something we don't understand, about the unknown, which is of course endless.  So I always thought as long as there is an audience, the story could go on forever.

DD:I think "don't give up" is always a good, you know.  And it's not as simple as you know "winners never quit".  You know, because it's not about winning.  Because it doesn't matter what happens, you still might lose, most people lose, probably will lose. Mulder and Scully always lost.  They never, they hardly ever solved anything.  But the only honor is only in the attempt, in the not giving up. It's not whether you win, and II think sometimes in America, and maybe other places, it's all about winning.  Winning is everything, and that always makes me sick a little bit.  You know, and I'm raising kids now, it's interesting to... As they go off to their little games and starts to play sports whatever, and I see them wanting to win, I see other parents really wanting them to win, and I'm the guy saying, you know, "I think it's great when you lose, that's okay, just have fun."  You know, just don't give up, and really, that would be my philosophy too. It's like great to win, it's fun to win, but at the end of the day, I don't care. I care if you tried and were passionate about it.

Exclusive Interview: 'X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE' CO-WRITER FRANK SPOTNITZ TALKS UNRATED DVD AND THE FRANCHISE'S FUTURE

The producer also talks about finding the story for the new movie, the Internet 'werewolf' photo leak and the film's box office performance

By A. C. FERRANTE, Editor in Chief
Published 8/1/2008

Its been six years since the X-FILES TV series went off the air, and fan anticipation for the second theatrical film X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE had fans chatting excitedly on the internet for months.

The plot was top secret, but David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson were returning to their roles as Mulder and Scully, the believer/skeptic team of former F.B.I. investigators that uncovered everything from alien lifeforms, government conspiracies and monsters.

Also back was creator Chris Carter serving as director who wrote the script alongside producer Frank Spotnitz.

It was a cant miss proposition, but something funny happened at the box office it was trounced by a little super-hero flick known as THE DARK KNIGHT.

Although X-FILES only made a little over $10 million in its opening weekend, it also was one of the most inexpensive movies of the summer at $30 million which will put it in profit long before SPEED RACER ever makes it to the finish line.

Whats been most surprising though, is reaction from the fans which, true to form, is split down the middle as were critics as well as the story involved stem cell research, faith and organ and body transplants. It brought Mulder out of hiding to assist the F.B.I. in the disappearance of one of their agents and found Scully having her own crises of faith in science and the church as she struggles to save a terminal patient of hers.

As X-FILES heads into its second weekend at the box office, Spotnitz graciously granted iF Magazine an exclusive interview yesterday to discuss the evolution of the new movie, fan reaction, its boxoffice peroformance, an Unrated DVD and of course, whether or not theres more truth left to uncover out there with the franchise.

iF MAGAZINE: With so many ways to take an X-FILES movie, did it take you and Chris a long time to settle on a story idea?

FRANK SPOTNITZ: It did take awhile back in 2003 to come up with something that we felt would be sufficiently different from anything we'd done on the television series. What we liked about this story was that it was a Frankenstein tale, but surprisingly close to reality. Just about everything you see in the movie -- the two-headed dogs, the body transplants -- has been performed in real life, although not humans, hopefully!

iF: At the Paley Festival this year, you mentioned that the original screenplay draft of X-FILES 2 was lost and you and Chris started from scratch when Fox gave you the greenlight. How different were the drafts? Was it the same idea? How did time improve the original concept?

SPOTNITZ: It actually wasn't a draft we lost, but rather the index cards we use to work out the story. We'd written quite a few of them, but not the whole story by any means. There was the storyline about the body transplants, and part of Christian's story as well. And we knew what Mulder and Scully would be doing (or not doing) professionally. But we hadn't worked out at all what became the heart of the movie -- the relationship between Mulder and Scully, and their individual struggles with belief.

iF: Originally, it was written that X-FILES 2 was going to be more a horror movie. I think fans were thinking it would be more in lines of a monster-of-the-week type of thing. Did the original idea start off as a monster-type thing, and morph into what is more of a science-fiction/horror story?

SPOTNITZ: I think the original story back in 2003 probably would've been more centered on the body transplant storyline/investigation, but after the long gap, Mulder and Scully as characters and their relationship became even more interesting to us.

iF: Did you have a list of dos and donts, storywise, as you went along?

SPOTNITZ: Ha! Yes, I suppose so, although they're not written out in list form.

iF: It feels like you and Chris really started with what is happening with Mulder and Scully for the movie, as opposed to what is the big idea. In some ways, its like a really cool arthouse movie with a studio budget dealing with philosophical ideas mixed with horror and science-fiction elements. Was there ever a hesitation on the studios part to go in this direction?

SPOTNITZ: I think that's fair. And I'm guessing a lot of the critical reaction is based on what they were expecting the movie to be, given its release date, rather than what the movie actually is. I guess I was a little surprised they didn't give us more credit for that, or for the many risks we took in this film. But no, we seemed amazingly in synch with the studio throughout the process.

iF: There was some kind of wolf suit photography that leaked to the Internet last year when you were filming. Im assuming this was planted to throw people off the scent of what the movie was about?

SPOTNITZ: That's right. We actually got the idea for the werewolf mislead because of an obscure post on Ain't It Cool News. Someone had written that they'd met Chris in a bar and he'd told them the movie would be about werewolves. We decided to just keep feeding that storyline. We felt most people wouldn't be too disappointed when the movie ended up not being about werewolves after all.

iF: One of the things that was very successful in the new movie, is it stays true to the TV series and what happened at the end of it. I thought it was very ballsy to keep Mulder and Scully assisting the F.B.I., instead of what happens in most films like this where at the mid-way point, characters are drawn back into the organization they previously left behind.

SPOTNITZ: Yes, I'm wary of movie sequels that work just to get you right back to where you used to be. We wanted to keep moving forward. We knew we'd be disappointing some people who wanted the same old story back again, but we thought it was more interesting, truer to the characters and the situation we'd depicted at the FBI when the series ended back in 2002.

iF: That said, not having them officially join the F.B.I. mid-way through the movie, did you find it hard to construct action sequences where Mulder and Scully dont get to wield a gun?

SPOTNITZ: Ha! Well, we always tried NOT to have them use their guns in the TV series. And, in fact, while some guns are held in this movie -- by Whitney, the FBI guys, and Skinner -- not a single shot is fired. And there's not a single explosion.

iF: If you could have put a moment or explanation in the movie about where Reyes and Doggett are now, what would that have been? Where are they now?

SPOTNITZ: I'm not going to answer that one. Just in case.

iF: Are there any characters you tried to incorporate into the movie, but just couldnt find a way of bringing them into the story?

SPOTNITZ: Actually, for quite a long while, there was no one in this movie from the old days at all, just Mulder and Scully. Then, fairly late in the writing process, Chris realized there was an opportunity to have Skinner come to the rescue, and we jumped at it.

iF: Were there many deleted scenes? If so, what were some of them? Anything you missed in particular?

SPOTNITZ: There are a few deleted scenes, but nothing we missed or felt would make the movie better. You'll see there's another scene with Scully, Father Joe and Christian, another scene with the girl in the box, and a variation on the scene after Mulder's car crashes.

iF: Will there be a longer directors cut or UNRATED cut on DVD?

SPOTNITZ: Yes, the unrated version is, not surprisingly, more graphic than the theatrical version. We're not talking about tons of gore, but I have to say it is more upsetting than the PG-13 version.

iF: I was a bit disappointed in the marketing of the film. I always felt that 20th Century Fox had a bit of a problem because they not only have the X-MEN franchise, but also the X-FILES franchise and in both cases, they used the big X to promote them both. That said, Im almost wondering if using the X so prominent on posters, might have confused audiences. The marketing also seemed very intent on emphasizing this was a movie, not a TV series as if people would not understand it was a feature film. Only this week, has the newspaper ads featured David and Gillians faces predominantly. Whats your feeling about the overall marketing of the movie?

SPOTNITZ: I try not to second-guess these things. I think everyone made the best decisions they could. It was a very tough situation, having a pretty small scale movie opening a week after one of the biggest movies of all time.

iF: Im still confused why the movie didnt open up bigger than it should have. Do you think people werent aware of the movie or that THE DARK KNIGHT and STEP BROTHERS chewed into your audience?

SPOTNITZ: I don't think awareness was necessarily the problem. I think the bigger problem was that we weren't counter-programming, like STEP BROTHERS and MAMMA MIA! were. If you were looking for a dark, scary movie experience, you were almost certainly going to THE DARK KNIGHT that weekend, unless you happened to be a big X-FILES fan.

iF: Do you think in retrospect that X-FILES fans wanted to see a movie steeped more in its core alien mythology instead?

SPOTNITZ: No, I don't. I think X-FILES fans got used to seeing a whole range of stories in the television series. Many, many of them prefer this kind of storytelling to the alien stuff. I think we attempted to do something very different and, in many ways, completely unlike anything we'd done before. It's not what some wanted, but most fans have responded very positively.

iF: While I dont want to give anything away to people who havent seen it yet, but the last image, after the credits at the end, gives a sense that this might be the swan song to X-FILES, especially with the hand wave. Was that the intent?

SPOTNITZ: It's ambiguous, isn't it? And that was really the point. If it's the end, then there's an awful lot of meaning in that image. If there are more movies, then it's simply goodbye for now.

iF: Are the doors closed on the X-FILES for good, or do you and Chris have other stories you still want to tell?

SPOTNITZ: I've always said I thought THE X-FILES could go on forever, provided there was an audience that wanted to see those stories. We'll see.

iF: What else are you working on? Any other TV shows or movies in development?

SPOTNITZ: Yes, I have a few very exciting things that I hope to be able to announce very shortly.

»  ... » The X-Files 2 »  .